Creating numerous jobs, the development of the tourist industry in the Landes is founded on the promotion of a remarkable natural area, a protected coastline, rich heritage, culture and gastronomy and exceptional spa resources across the entire territory.
- Accommodation capacity: 415,000 beds, including 44% commercial beds (85.3% of the total accommodation capacity concentrated around the coast)
- Open-air accommodation: the leading form of commercial accommodation in the Landes with more than 116,420 beds
- Frequentation 2012: 21.6 million nights’ accommodation of which 60.4 % in July and August
- Economic weight:
- 15,000 direct and indirect jobs (20 to 25,000 if seasonal workers are included)
- tourism and the spa industry, 17.5% of salaried employment in the tourism sector in Aquitaine
- €1 billion global turnover, placing the Landes 16th in the ranking of French départements in terms of nights’ accommodation.